Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people. - Victor Borge

I don't really like presentations.  I always get super nervous, my hands shake, and I'm pretty sure that everyone is bored to death by what I'm saying.

Today I did a PowerPoint presentation on different cultures' weddings.  I picked three, thought they were interesting, but the students looked board out of their minds.  After the presentation, I had them read a newspaper article on one of the groups and how the elders in the community were concerned that their traditions were being tossed aside and that more Westernized ideas were taking their place.  The students then did a think, pair, share about it.  While they were pairing off, I walked around to see what people were saying.  I got to one part of the class, and two of the students said that I should teach every day, and the classmates sitting around them all agreed.  It made my heart smile to see that what I'm doing isn't for waste, and that the students do enjoy it (in hindsight, I should've realized the students were enjoying the presentation because they were all pretty silent during it, even though they didn't have to write any notes).

(Also, I did a 3-2-1 exit card, and for the 1 I asked for them to write one thing they enjoyed about the lesson.  One of the students wrote, "Learning about different weddings, and your laugh."  That also made me smile.)

No comments:

Post a Comment