Friday, October 14, 2011

Your attitude will always determine your attitude. - a sign posted in the girl's washroom at work

Something that always makes my heart smile is when my work and/or work ethic gets recognition.  I'm the type of person that puts everything into my work, regardless of how small the task is, and sometimes it gets tiring and I feel unappreciated.  Of course, when I feel unappreciated for a long time, I start to just not care anymore about what I'm doing.  

Well, today was a bit of a tiring day at work.  I'm not sure if it was the weather or what, but customers were just in bad moods.  One customer was looking through a rack of girl's shirts, and I asked if I could look for the size for her, and she said, "I'm just browsing.  I don't know what size."  It was obvious that this was a lie (I really don't see the point in looking through a rack of all the same shirt, unless you're looking for a specific size), but whatever, I walked away.  A couple more customers were weird and flat out rude, and work was just not looking fun.

I was asked to stick around for a bit after the time that my shift was supposed to be over to finish off my training.  I agreed, though a little grudgingly since I wasn't enjoying my day and couldn't wait to get home and read (I'm almost done a really good book!).  In the end, I'm glad I stuck around.

It was nice to be told that I'm doing a really good job and that it's obvious I'm working hard to the managers in the store.  After a day like today, I needed something like that to stop myself from just not caring.

So my heart smiled when I realized that I am appreciated at work, even if it doesn't always seem that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment