Friday, July 1, 2011

I wouldn't let someone take my Canadian citizenship from me for anything - Jim Kale of the Guess Who

I know I've been horrible with this, but I do have an excuse.  At the time I seemed to drop off the face of the planet till now, I was finishing university, moving back home, volunteering in Swaziland for a month, and now settling back into life.  So it's been a bit busy and hectic for me, and some things were forgotten, and other things were simply put to the side for a little bit.  But I'm back now, and most likely to stay!

And what better day to be back then July 1st?  I woke up in the morning and my heart was smiling for the simple fact that today is Canada Day!  It's not every day that we really sit back and think about where we live and what that means for us, so it's nice to have one day a year where we can do just that.  And trust me, we have a lot of things to be happy about!

Whenever and where ever I travel to, I'm always proud to say that I am Canadian.  I have been incredibly lucky to have been born into such an awesome country with such great things such as health care and (free) education.  I'm incredibly lucky to live in a country where I feel safe to say in public that I'm not happy with all of the policies and politics that have been going on.  I can discuss my dissatisfaction in public, can petition and protest for change.  I live in a country that encourages free speech, freedom of religion (including the freedom to be nonreligious), open dialogues, peace keeping, and even same-sex marriage.

At the end of the day, I've been very lucky.  Canada is an awesome country.  A place to be proud of coming from, and I only hope that this country continues to be that way.

Today my heart smiles to see Canadians out in the streets of their own country being proud to say that they are Canadian.

No comments:

Post a Comment