Monday, July 9, 2012

Laughter is the corrective force which prevents us from becoming cranks. - Henri Bergson

Before I write today's, I have to do yesterday's, which involves a bit of a back story.

About a month ago my mom bought a cat carrier for our one cat, Gump.  He's not the easiest getting to, from, or while at, the vet.  So we all figured this larger cat carrier would make the yearly visit a bit easier.  Just before his yearly visit, we brought up the carrier and placed it in the living room with a blanket nicely folded inside.  We were hoping that he'd go in and check it out, and make himself familiar with it.  Well, he didn't.  Forest, our other cat, has decided it's the perfect bed for her.

Every night I have a bedtime routine with the two cats.  I go into the kitchen, call them, and they get two cat treats each.  Forest eats some of the dry food, then we head upstairs.  Gump immediately gets two more treats in my room, and Forest gets her two when she's finished having a drink in the washroom.  Then Gump goes and does his thing for the night, and Forest sleeps on my bed.

Well, last night Forest quickly came out of the cat carrier for her two treats in the kitchen, but then quickly went back into the carrier where she decided she was not going to leave.  I tried calling her out, went upstairs and gave Gump his two more treats in the hopes that she'd get jealous and follow, continued calling her.  She was absolutely not going to budge.

So I sat down next to the carrier to decide what my next move was.  You see, you can take the top off of the carrier, so I considered just taking the top off and lifting her out.  But, when I thought about it, I didn't like doing that because I think she likes the carrier because it's really hard to get to her, and I didn't want to take that away from her.  So then I thought about just leaving her downstairs.  But, I'm going away for three weeks soon, so I'm trying to get all the snuggle time I can get while I can (plus, she'll just get even more mad at me for leaving if I don't).  So then I considered taking her upstairs in the carrier.  But, I didn't want to do that because I felt it would give her the wrong impression and potentially add another step to our already overly complicated and unnecessary bedtime routine.

After thinking all of this, I couldn't stop laughing out loud.  And I mean really laughing.  Here was this little cat with huge eyes staring at me from inside her carrier, daring me to make a move, and I was over thinking this situation as if she were an actual child and as if whatever action I chose would some how affect how she'd turn out in the future or something.  She can't even poop in the toilet for crying out loud!  Like it really matters how I get her upstairs.

So, while I was carrying her upstairs in her carrier, laughing the entire way at the absolute ridiculousness of the situation and the fact that she won, my heart was smiling.

Here's a picture of the spoiled princess:


Now, for today's.

I think I mentioned in here that I got into Teacher's College.  If I didn't, well... I got in!

Anyway, my school has different cohorts for the students, which kind of allow you to specialize in different things.  For example, there's a Multicultural and Multilingual cohort, an Inner-City Schools cohort, and then basic cohorts that just have to do with different school boards.  Everyone has to list their three top picks, and for all but the basic school boards one, explain why you feel you should be in that cohort.  From there, the school picks which fit is for you.

My first pick was the Global Citizenship and Sustainable Development cohort... and I got in!  So obviously my heart was smiling today when I opened the email that said I got my first pick.

Now I have to go and do the bedtime routine with my cats.  And yes, Forest is in the carrier, eyeing me already.

No comments:

Post a Comment